What's in my head

This is the home of your average girl in her early 30s making her way in the big city...Not really. I have thoughts. Now I have somewhere to put them.

Saturday, June 25, 2005

Raking - Oyeh!

That's right, no power tools for me this time around volunteering at Habitat for Humanity Toronto's biggest build. Instead, I got to use a rake! And a hose!

Today was my first day back on the site since October and I forgot just how much work it is. The day started at 8:30 a.m. with the signing of the waiver, the selecting of the hard hat and the usual safety speech. My crew leader informed us that we would be moving a pile of dirt - how exciting! I thought it'd be a piece of cake...I was wrong. Picture this: it's 34 degrees (43 with the humidity) and the sun is shinning down, I'm wearing a hard hat (remember, heat escapes through the head), jeans, and two tops. Now raking becomes the hardest job in the world. I had to take a 10 minute break after every 20 minutes of work to keep from collapsing. Despite the sweating, the dirt and my sore feet (steel toe/shank shoes are less comfortable than spiked heels), my effort (and that of my crew mates) helped make a difference - even if it was just a small one. What started as a big pile of dirt had become the base for three yards of beautiful green sod just seven hours later.

Even though I'm pretty sure I have mild heat stroke and dehydration, I'll know the pain was worth it when I see the first 10 families handed the key to their new homes tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home