What's in my head

This is the home of your average girl in her early 30s making her way in the big city...Not really. I have thoughts. Now I have somewhere to put them.

Saturday, November 05, 2005

Paris Day 1 (aka la Tour Eiffel)

Tuesday, Oct. 18

We didn't get to Paris until nearly 5 p.m. We ate a horrible three-course dinner at the hotel restaurant in record time (we ate at 6:30 p.m. and the place opened up for real customers at 7 p.m. so we had to be outta there) and then left for our evening illumination tour, which was great. We saw lots of sights including Notre Dame, Musee d'Orsay, the Champs Elysees, Arc de Triomphe, Charles de Gaulle Etoile, Assemblee Nationale, Hotel des Invalides, Ecole Militaire and Place de la Concorde. But it was dark and we saw them from a bus so these are all the photos I got for ya.

The Seine from the top of the Eiffel Tower.



No, those little blue round things are not water marks or a camera malfunction. Every hour on the hour the already bright tower puts on a dazzling light show.

The Eiffel Tower was the first time I really got to try out my French and it was pretty good. I think people in Paris speak more slowly than people in Quebec so I could understand enough to get the gist of what they were saying. As I was at the front of the line, I got to talk to the man from the tower and then relay his message to the group. I TOTALLY understood him tell me to tell them to open their bags so we could get through faster.

Important note for anyone planning on taking a trip to France's most famous landmark: the gift shop lady on the top floor (...maybe the observation level) is not nice and may try to overcharge you (apparently in France 5.50 + 1.50 + 1.40 = 11.20 Lady, I have difficulty with your language, but my math skills are just fine!). Also, the keychains from the men outside selling bling (i.e. tacky coloured light-up Eiffel towers) are a good deal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home