What's in my head

This is the home of your average girl in her early 30s making her way in the big city...Not really. I have thoughts. Now I have somewhere to put them.

Friday, January 08, 2010

Head shake

I am someone who tends to focus on the negative, to think of what I’ve done wrong instead of what I’ve done well, who lives with regret. I am well aware this is a bad trait and one I intend to change - even if just a little bit - with this post. I am going to the Olympics next month. Not just to the host city, but to three actual Olympic events to which I have actual tickets. I have great seats for two of the events. I know, right! This is awesome. A once in a lifetime opportunity. I am a lucky girl.

Problem is: I keep focusing on the negative. I am, an idiot. I am fixated on the fact that I am only in Vancouver for four full days. That I won’t fully be able to soak in the ‘Olympic’ experience. That I should have not rushed to book my flight so soon because of a low, low fare (the result is an extended journey that takes me through two provinces and three states - or two states and DC). That I should have waited and flown directly from Toronto. That I should have booked two one ways instead of a round trip. (That I should have bought more Olympic tickets when I had the chance and sold them to the highest bidder to help pay for my own trip...I am far too innocent a person for that one as it goes against the true spirit of the games).

So with this post I give my head a shake and remind myself that I AM GOING TO THE OLYMPICS!! I will get to see speed skating and aerials and short track speed skating - events where it is very possible Canada will win gold! I get to spend four full days soaking in the atmosphere of Vancouver 2010, mingling with people from all over the world, visiting with my little brother and catching up with an old friend. And then I get to spend 30 hours in Seattle staying at a very nice hotel. People would love to be in my position and I’m being an idiot for focusing on the negatives, the what ifs and the should haves. I shouldn’t be thinking about ‘making the best of it,’ I should be grateful and ecstatic that I am going to fulfill a childhood dream!

Danielle, you are going to the OLYMPICS. You are a very, VERY lucky girl.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home