What's in my head

This is the home of your average girl in her early 30s making her way in the big city...Not really. I have thoughts. Now I have somewhere to put them.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

I do too know what Beta is

I read about the Mindset list in today's Star and then came upon the one for my graduating year, although because I grew up in Ontario (past home of OAC) I was born in 1979, not 1980. Remember, I'm going to be 20 and six soon.

There were plenty of American references I couldn't relate to, but aside from those there were several points I took exception to. Since I have a glass half empty kind of attitude, those are the ones I will highlight.

BELOIT COLLEGE'S CLASS OF 2002 MINDSET LIST®
1. The people starting college this fall across the nation were born in 1980.
12. Atari pre-dates them, as do vinyl albums. -We had Atari and vinyl albums!
13. The expression "you sound like a broken record" means nothing to them. -See above
14. They have never owned a record player. -Did too! We had more than one and I used to have story books that came with records so you could follow along. Some of those records were like a red transparent plastic. I wonder if we still have any of those...?
15. They have likely never played Pac Man, and have never heard of "Pong." -Never played Pac Man, pfft. Our Atari also had a game where we had to jump on pieces of floating ice and avoid the polar bear, anyone know what that was called?
18. They may never have heard of an 8-track, and chances are they've never heard or seen one. -I totally listened to my parents 8-tracks. I used to put on the big black headphones with the long spiral cord and listen to songs like "Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Old Oak Tree" (I know, my parents had bad taste in music) and walk around in circles in the living room until I got dizzy and fell down. I have pictures of me wearing said headphones, but alas no scanner. Sucks for you.
21. They have always had an answering machine. -Personally? Nope
24. There have always been VCR's, but they have no idea what Beta is. -We had a Beta. My favourite movie was "Mac and Me," I was sad when we got a VHS and I could no longer watch the little alien.
25. They cannot fathom what it was like not having a remote control. -Our first TV, a big fake wood thing that was popular in the early '80s, didn't have a remote. I think my parents used us.
27. Roller-skating has always meant in-line for them. -Wrong. I had white rollerskates with big red wheels and even went to a rollerskating party once!
36. They don't know who Mork was, or where he was from. -I know who Mork is, but where was he from again?
40. Michael Jackson has always been white. -He was black on the Thriller album cover. We had that album. What was with the cat?


42. McDonalds never came in Styrofoam containers. -It did too

1 Comments:

  • At 9:44 PM , Blogger Benjamin said...

    It may be shameless to admit, but I used to tease my girlfriend because she was born in the 80's (1980) rather than the 70's like me (1978). Yeah, not a big deal, but for some reason it was weird at first that someone born in the 80's was old enough to date.

    Anyway, sorry that you had to be the butt of a joke. I think saying these things of people born in 1980 is pushing it a bit. 1982, perhaps...

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home