What's in my head

This is the home of your average girl in her early 30s making her way in the big city...Not really. I have thoughts. Now I have somewhere to put them.

Friday, March 30, 2007

Speed dating sucks! (I have no clever title...)

While I am indeed single, I haven't yet opted to try the fun that is speed dating. I figure if I meet 10 guys though a-means-I-will-not-mention and I don't like any of them, I'm not gonna pay $45 to spend an hour and a half with 10 guys I won't be attracted to. With that being said, I was curious. Is it like when Miranda did it on Sex and the City? Is it fun? Who goes? Is the food yummy? So I decided to go for work purposes - strictly as an observer of course (despite the comments by the men that I should have participated to get the whole story). So as a reporter I headed to an event in Pickering last night and within 10 minutes I knew it would never be worth $5 for me or any gal who considers herself hotter than a 6.5. (And yep, I do consider myself hotter than that!).

My first instinct was, OMG the girls are all hotter than the guys. (And I for the most part believe most of the girls I know are at least a little hotter than their mates...sorry guys). So much hotter! I know it isn't all about looks and the men I interviewed seemed nice and relatively normal. But.

BUT

I don't think there was a man there who was taller than 5'6" and they were closer to 40 while the gals were closer to 30. There were balding men, badly dressed men, men who's hair and clothing style looked like they should be in a country bar. In a small town. In 1991. The gals I spoke to were polite and they said it was a good opportunity for them to meet new people, but I have a hunch today there are a lot of guys waiting for e-mails telling them they made a match with the nine* women they'd like to see again and probably only two or three guys are going to end up with any matches at all.

So my advice: ladies don't waste your time or money.

*there were only nine women at the event

2 Comments:

  • At 2:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Wow, what a biased review and criticism of men in speed dating events. I have went to 3 events over the course of 2 years, so I can speak with some authority on the subject. There is nothing worse than a know-it-all who likes to comment on things they never experienced and are not qualified to comment on.

    I can attest to the fact that the majority of girls were NOT over
    6.5. I think you are really biased in gauging the attractiveness of women. Let's be honest, men do 80%+ of the hunting. A 7 or higer would get snatched up through mutual friends, co-workers or even complete strangers before EVER going to a speed dating event. Come on now, let's be honest with ourselves sweetie.

    Most women at these events who are actually looking for a date were
    4-6's. The only ones even close to a 7 were usually the ones who act as moral support for their unattractive, overweight friend(s) (Sorry ladies, the truth can hurt.). They are usually also there just to "check speeding dating out" and are not actually looking for a date and that is why I specifically mentioned the ones LOOKING for a date were 4-6's.

    Overall guys were reasonably attractive, but obviously no models in the crowd. The biggest problem for men in these events is social ineptitude. I could talk circles around most of them. Most men were over your quoted 5'6 mark. I saw a guy there who was
    6'2 or 6'3.

     
  • At 4:53 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    my friend, about 6'2, met his wife at one of these things several years ago. he is bald so if you judge guys who are bald then i guess you will do that.

    i'd try one of these things if i wasn't so unmotiviated.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home